The National, Thursday February 6th, 2014
COURT papers relating to the dispute between the Government and PNG Sustainable Development Program Limited have been served on the State, according to chairman Sir Mekere Morauta.
He said the company had been informed of this by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Singapore.
There was no confirmation yesterday from the Government on whether it had received the papers.
Sir Mereke said under the rules of the Singapore Supreme Court, in which the case was filed, the State had until Feb 17 to submit a response.
PNGSDP began the action in response to the State’s expropriation of the Ok Tedi mine and its attempts to take control of PNGSDP and the $US1.4 billion (K2.9 billion) in the Long-Term Fund.
The Singapore Supreme Court case seeks to protect PNGSDP’s corporate integrity and to prevent the PNG Government and others from taking action in breach of Singapore laws, the company’s articles and memorandum of association, and its governing programme rules.
The Singapore action comes after letters from Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and Chief Secretary Sir Manasupe Zurenuoc late last year terminating the company’s board, including Sir Mekere as chairman, removing chief executive officer David Sode, and appointing a transitional management team.