The National, Wednesday October 16th, 2013
By PISAI GUMAR
THE number of diarrhoea cases reported in Bulolo district has risen to 324 after it spread to Wau town, according to health oficials.
There were 217 cases recorded in Bulolo alone at the beginning of the month.
Provincial health advisor Dr Micah Yawing said a health team was sent to the district with medical supplies to assist local health officers diagnose and treat patients while monitoring new cases.
“From Oct 6 to 8, the monitoring team on the ground detected 75 new cases in Bulolo alone, increasing the number to 292,” he said.
“In Wau town, the health centre recorded 32 fresh cases from Oct 8-10.
“Most patients were from the catchment areas surrounding the Wau urban area.
“A technical team for Wau will be dispatched to the ground this week to monitor cases as well as verify the cause of the diarrhoea (outbreak).”
A child died after the outbreak was detected in Bulolo town early this month.
There were 86 cases recorded at the Bubu refugee centre near the Bulolo police station.
Yawing could not give details of the breakdown of the cases detected so far.
Bulolo administrator Tae Gwambelek said the district needed financial assistance to cope with the outbreak and other matters.
“Currently, we are financially incapable and need provincial government assistance,” he said.
Yawing said Bulolo ground team was led by local health extension officer Logen Yakam.
He said a technical team comprising provincial health and Angau Memorial Hospital staff would be sent to monitor the situation.
“The technical team will be there to check water sources, health and hygiene and conduct basic health awareness and what not to eat because dysentery bacteria can move,” Yawing said.