The National- Thursday, February 3, 2011
PAPUA New Guinea, and Port Moresby, will not be prepared to counter a cyclone or any other natural disasters.
National Disaster Centre director Martin Mose said there were no specific plans in place for big disasters like cyclones, tsunamis, earthquakes, severe flooding and other natural disasters.
“In the event that we do experience cyclone, I am afraid I do not see how we can manage because we are not really prepared for it. First of all we do not have specific plans for cyclone disaster,” he said yesterday.
Mose said work has begun on the national disaster management plan two years ago and 60% of that had been completed. Meanwhile, Central pro-vincial disaster coordinator Daniel Mona, has sent out warnings to Motuan villagers and fishermen along the coast not to venture out to sea.
Mona said after receiving reports of strong wind warnings from National Weather Services went on air with three different radio stations and warned villages – especially along Hiri West which included Papa, Lealea, Porebada, Kido and Manumanu – to be wary of strong winds.
“We have not received any reports of strong winds occurring in any of the villages,” Mona said.
Mose, on the other hand, urged all the villagers who would be at risk to take heed of the warnings issued yesterday.