The National – Monday, June 27, 2011
By JUNIOR UKAHA
MEMBER for Boungainville Fidelis Semoso is alleged to have misappropriated K2.7 million meant for the South Bougainville feeder road project, the Office of the Public Prosecutor said.
Acting Public Prosecutor Camillus Sambua, citing a report into allegations against the MP, said Semoso was referred to him by the Ombudsman Commission for six offences allegedly committed between June, 2006 and May last year.
The Office of the Public Prosecutor in a letter dated June 23 and signed by Sambua said: “Fidelis Semoso was today … referred to the Public Prosecutor by the Ombudsman Commission for alleged misconduct in office.”
Sambua said division III.2 of the Constitution (under the Leadership Code) and the Organic Law on the Duties and Responsibilities of Leadership applies to the MP as a leader.
Sambua said the six charges against the MP included:
* Misappropriation of K2.7 million from South Bougainville feeder road project funds without proper tender process;
* Benefit of public funds in the amount of K470,000 from the K2.7 million awarded to Millennium Waters Ltd;
* Misappropriation of K1.4 million from South Boungainville feeder roads;
* Assault and torture of Therese Hani Hapoot;
* Winning a contract under false pretence; and
* Failure to declare interest.
Sambua said he would pursue the file to determine whether there was sufficient, credible and cogent evidence to request the chief justice to appoint an appropriate leadership tribunal to hear the allegations of misconduct in office against Semoso.