Mungkas rule Super League

Normal, Sports

The National, Monday October 21st, 2013


MUNGKAS are the undisputed queens after their hard-fought 3-2 extra time win over Rapatona in the Port Moresby Women’s Super League soccer grand final on Saturday. 

The victory is icing on the cake for the Bougainvillean club who swept the pre-season title and the minor premiership. 

The grand final was kicked off by Papua New Guinea Football Association president David Chung, who made his first appearance there in eight years.

Port Moresby was granted membership to the national body only this year.

The game was locked 2-2 at full- time but magician Fatima Rama scored in the opening minute of extra time to seal victory for the Badili-based team.

Striker Rama capped off another  fine season by scoring a hat-trick of goals in the grand final and won a spot in the Port Moresby women’s squad for the trip to Alotau for the Southern Leg of the Besta Cup qualifier.

Helped by midfielders Claire Tsuga and Sandra Birum, Rama, from Western, used her speed to outrun the Rapatona defence to score her opening goal.

Rama found the back of the net in the 12th minute and seven minutes later she pushed Mungkas further ahead with her second.

Rapatona put in a  courageous effort, fighting back to force the game into extra time.   

Rapatona striker Lydia Barnabas scored a double. 

After trailing 2-0 in the first half, the woman from Morobe tapped Cathy Horris’ cross in for her first goal in the 22nd minute. 

Apart from Barnabas, her co-striker Deslyn Siniu was closely marked by the Mungkas defenders in Dorcas Sesevo and Joy Tsunga. 

The flankers – Daphany Flinders and Hipak Pokichong – of Rapatona made some good crosses for Barnabas and Siniu but they were cleared by Mungkas defenders.

In the second half, Barnabas levelled the score at 52 minutes  and forced the game into extra time where Rama scored the winner and her hat-trick to complete a sterling season for her.

In the third and fourth play-offs, Guria taught the University girls a football lesson, easily winning 3-1.