The National, Wednesday October 9th, 2013
THE Opposition will be part of court proceedings to nullify the Government’s takeover of the Ok Tedi mine, leader Belden Namah says.
He said yesterday that the Opposition would challenge in court some of the decisions taken by the Government and passed in Parliament and the legitimacy of the Manus asylum seekers procession centre agreement, which is before the court.
Namah said they would join the landowners in the court proceeding challenging Parliament’s decision to transfer ownership of the mine to the State.
“The prime minister has made several controversial decisions that will affect the country like the Ok Tedi mine takeover and the amendment to section 124 and 145 of the Constitution, an act of legalising dictatorship by giving power to one man,” Namah said.
He said the other issue was the awarding of the K800 million super highway from Lae to Nazab and the K399 million road from Togoba to Kisinopi.
He said O’Neill had directed an investigation into the costing of the road projects although it was approved by him as chairman of the NEC.
“How can it be reviewed when he as chairman of the NEC approved it and when the contract has already been signed?” Namah said.
He said the decision to take over Ok Tedi and the change in its management was saddening because people of Western had been ripped off of their 63.4% shareholding.