The National, Thursday 24th November 2011
By ISAAC NICHOLAS
SPEAKER Jeffery Nape is expected to rescind his decision to disqualify Paul Tiensten as member for Pomio, according to Sir Arnold Amet.
It followed talks yesterday between members of the former
government led by Madang Regional MP Sir Arnold, Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, Speaker Nape and Leader of Government Business Moses Maladina to have the decision reversed.
Sir Arnold later explained that there had been consultation between O’Neill and Nape over the decision and the Clerk of Parliament was now checking the attendance records.
Sir Arnold said he hoped the issue would be resolved amicably to avoid resorting to court action.
“On Tuesday, our esteemed speaker purported to exercise powers he did not have to disqualify the member for Pomio. The matter is absolutely sub-judice,” Sir Arnold said.
“We are pleased to say that since yesterday (Tuesday) we explained and Tiensten explained and a proposition was put to the speaker’s office.
“We had formal discussions with the speaker and prime minister and this issue can be resolved amicably.
“It is a positive outcome we are pleased with. We do not want to go to court.”
Tiensten who was in the parliamentary chambers but left before the session, told The National that he did not want any confrontation with the speaker.
He said his presence could force the Speaker to adjourn parliament which would affect the tabling of important bills such as the declaration of Hela and Jiwaka as provinces and the Women’s Bill
“I left because I did not want any confrontation again.
“I was mandated by the people of Pomio and the speaker has no right to disqualify me so I leave it to him to rescind his decision
to disqualify me,’’ he said.
Sir Arnold said the records showed that Tiensten only missed two meetings of parliament and not three to warrant his disqualification.
He said they had urged Tiensten to take two days off and return when the speaker rescinded his decision.