The National, Wednesday 24th April 2013
THE Telikom National Soccer League will return to the Sir John Guise Stadium following successful negotiations between board chairman Isaac Lupari and PNG Sports Foundation chairman, Graham Osborne.
The competition was booted out of the stadium last week but the delay in inviting bid tenders for upgrading the venue for the 2015 Pacific Games resulted in a change of heart by the foundation.
The deadline for bid tenders is May 2, which will give the TNSL board time to complete its 2013 season. The NSL board thanked the national government for waiving all costs for the use of the Sir John Guse Stadium, in Port Moresby, and the Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium, in Lae.
League board chairman, Isaac Lupari said such a gesture clearly demonstrated government’s commitment in supporting soccer in the country.
“Without the support of the Government it would be very difficult to develop soccer as a sport that involves everyone, including the grass roots, families, boys and girls, men and women at all levels of society,” Lupari said.