THE National Capital District Commission’s security guards suspended by Governor Powes Parkop recently have denied threatening financial staff when asking for their shift allowances.
A guard, who claimed to be speaking on behalf of the others, said Parkop’s explanation was “unfounded and baseless”.
“We never threatened anyone in the office,” he told The National last Thursday.
Last Tuesday, Mr Parkop said he suspended 57 security personnel after they reportedly threatened the financial adviser and verbally abused other accounts staff when demanding their remuneration.
He also said that there were no records to show that they were entitled to the shift allowances claimed.
But the spokesman claimed that the Department of Personnel Management (DPM) could confirm the payments due to them.
“If proof is required, our records can be confirmed with the DPM.
“We have 100% documents in place.”
The spokesman also complained that when they turned up at the office to ask for their payments, they were prevented from entering.
He also said that they should have been properly informed of their suspension.
We were served with the suspension on the streets or at our homes, by whom we do not know as the notices were dumped either at our yards or on the bonnet of our cars” he said.
But a spokesman for Mr Parkop said last night that these 57 people would be terminated.
“They cost the NCD tax payers about K1.9 million last year for doing nothing.
“They will go, and the savings will be re-directed to roadworks and development in the city,” the spokesman said.