The National, Thursday July 18th, 2013
By MALUM NALU
FINDINGS of an investigation ordered into unrest at the University of Technology in Lae have still not been made public, despite being completed.
This was confirmed last night by Higher Education Minister David Arore, who told The National that the National Executive Council had accepted the report and he expected to make public the findings next week.
The report was completed at the end of May and a copy was understood to have already been given to Prime Minister Peter O’Neill.
“The National Executive Council accepted the report last week,” Arore said.
“I’m yet to make a media statement on this. I expect to make a statement this coming week.”
The government ordered the inquiry after a split between the management and the board at the university sparked rioting by students last year.
It appointed former judge Mark Sevua to head an investigation into the power struggle which broke out last year between the university council, led by Philip Stagg and Ralph Saulep, and the former vice-chancellor, Albert Schram.
Asked about Schram, who is understood to have been deported, Arore said: “I’m yet to get a report on that.”