No more water and power woes, says Zurenuoc

Normal, Papua
Source:

The National, Monday July 9th, 2012

DISRUPTIONS by landowners to Port Moresby’s water and power supplies are a thing of the past, a senior government official said last Thursday.
Chief Secretary to the Government Manasupe Zurenuoc reassured Port Moresby residents their water and electricity supplies would be stable after meeting with the Rouna landowners.
The meeting was held to review K291 million compensation claims by the landowners who last month disrupted supplies to the capital city for three days.
“There will be no water and electricity disruption,” Zurenuoc said.
“We are in close dialogue with Rouna landowners. We had a meeting today following the meeting two weeks ago and they have assured me that they will not threaten water and power supplies to the city,” he said.
He said the government wanted to hand landowners their development package but did not because they “have to establish an entity that we can channel their package through”.
Zurenuoc declined to reveal specifics of the package but said the government was committed to resolving the issue.
Rouna landowners and the government will meet again next week after the landowners set up the required organisation.