The National, Friday 7th September, 2012
By GYNNIE KERO
WESTPAC PNG managing director Ashleigh Matheson is encouraging community members to nominate a female high achiever for the 2012 Westpac Women in Business Awards before Sept 11.
The awards, now in their sixth consecutive year, recognise PNG women’s outstanding achievements in five separate categories across public, private, and government and not-for-profit sectors.
A fifth category recognises outstanding achievement by a woman under the age of 30.
Matheson said the awards helped address the critical underrepresentation of women in PNG by calling out a number of exceptional businesswomen who are making an impressive contribution to the country’s development.
“Westpac acknowledges the challenges that women, girls and their families in PNG face in their pursuit of gaining meaningful education, employment and being treated as equals in society,” he said.
“Through the Westpac Women in Business Awards, we want to address this imbalance by putting women on a pedestal and inspiring and motivating others to help build their dreams.”
There are five award categories in 2012:
• Pricewaterhouse Coopers Private & Corporate Sector Award recognises outstanding achievement by a female manager in the private and corporate sector who has contributed significantly to the performance of a company or business unit;
• Steamships Public Sector Award recognises outstanding achievement by a female manager in the public sector who has contributed significantly to the performance of any government service;
• SP Brewery Entrepreneur Award recognises outstanding achievement by a woman with at least a 50% shareholding in an organisation in the field of innovation for new products or services;
• Trukai Community Responsibility Award recognises outstanding achievement by a female manager working in the not-for profit or non-government organisation sector;
• IBBM Young Achiever’s Award recognises outstanding achievement by a young woman in any category under the age of 30.
Nomination forms are available online at westpac.com.pg or from all Westpac branches.
Winners will be announced at the dinner presentation in Port Moresby on Wednesday, Oct 17.