NSL back on the menu

Normal, Sports
Source:

The National, Thursday January 2nd, 2014

 By HENRY MORABANG

THE National Soccer League (NSL) is set to kick off Saturday week.

Reigning premier Hekari United FC, Huawei Eastern Stars FC, Oro FC, Admiralty Palaiau FC – all Port Moresby-based teams will join three Lae-based teams, Gigira Laitepo Morobe United FC, Besta PNG United and Lae FC for the seven-team competition set for kick off on January 11.

Chris Brown, the NSL development manager and the competition manager Mari Kapi are working around the clock to ensure all teams are ready for the kick off.

Brown said Bisini Soccer Ground will host the Port Moresby leg of the NSL competition while Sir Ignatius Kilage Stadium will host the Lae leg.

NSL want to see their competition completed at the end of March before reigning champion, Hekari United FC, flies to Fiji for the Oceani Football Confederation Champions League to be staged in Ba, Fiji in April this year.

It would be a hectic year for NSL, which is expected to have Telikom as its major sponsor, as there is likely to be mid-week competition matches.

Meanwhile, Brown said he was aware of the court challenge by POMFC against PNGFA and the NSL Board.

He referred this paper to the chairman of NSL Isaac Lupari.

Lupari in his earlier statement confirmed that POMFC has filed an application for review of NSL Board decision before NSL Board meeting on December 13 last year. 

However, as the scheduled NSL board meeting were about to consider their appeal, they were surprised with the court action. 

“We were surprised because they had lodged their appeal and NSL board was going to hear it and make a decision, so the board deferred any discussion on its appeal as the matter is was before court,” Lupari said. 

The NSL Board resolved not to hear the appeal application until legal issues are sorted out. 

The board is now seeking legal advice on the application.

 

Leave a Reply