The National, Tuesday February 4th, 2014
By HENRY MORABANG
THE semi-professional football competition, National Soccer League, returns to the football pitch on Saturday after spending the last two months in the court room after Port Moresby FC withdrew its court case against PNGFA and NSL.
The franchise owners were told in a meeting last week by the NSL Board that Port Moresby FC had withdrawn its court proceedings filed against board chairman Issac Lupari and the NSL
Waigani National Court Judge Justice Derek Hartshorn notified the court that FC POM had withdrawn the proceedings for the sake of the 2014 football season.
Hartshorn made this known during a decision of costs on the court application filed by FC POM.
NSL, the defendants in the matter asked the Court for FC POM to pay for costs of the proceedings as FC POM were the initiators. Hartshorn ruled that POM FC may discontinue the proceedings and should not pay costs.
He (Hartshorn) ruled that all parties pay their own costs.
POM FC was not in court to hear the ruling on costs of the application.
Franchise owners are sure to welcome the news and finally get on the playing field.
Gigira Laitepo Morobe FC team manager Toki Mambare commended POM FC for their wisdom in withdrawing the case.
“We thank Port Moresby for making the decision in the interest of the other clubs,” Mambare said.
Mambare said there was concern that with the continued delays the competition would run out of steam before it even started. He added this would have a detrimental effect on the players. Mambare said he flet for FC POM’s players who would now miss out on the 2014 season.
He called on all parties in the matter to be mindful of their obligation to soccer and to be professional in all their dealings in the future to avoid a repeat of the FC POM situation.
Mambare warned that because the NSL was starting late it would have a flow on effect on other association’s competitions as the NSL pulled in the best talent from around the country.