By GYNNIE KERO
A MAN is dead, seven people injured and 15 semi-permanent houses burnt down at Kanduwanum, East Sepik following a dispute among locals on Independence Day anniversary, according to police commander Supt Albert Beli.
Speaking from Wewak yesterday, Supt Beli said policemen were sent to site to establish the cause and help resolve a tense situation at Kanduwanum.
“The cause of the fight among the people at Kanduwanum is unknown (but) police have gone to investigate,” he said.
“From what we gathered, a fight broke out, seven sustained wounds caused by spear catapults.
“One is dead and 15 houses were burnt to ashes,” Supt Beli said.
He said police also received information of young people on Kairiru Island attacking students and damaging properties at the Kairiru Secondary School. He urged the offenders to surrender or police would have their parents locked up at the station in Wewak.
Supt Beli also told The National that two soldiers from Moem Barracks who were admitted at the hospital had been discharged.
The two soldiers were reportedly waiting for their pick-up to return to the barracks outside a nightclub when they were attacked by youths on Saturday.
It is believed that the youths who attacked the two soldiers live close to the club.
Supt Beli suggested the club owner increase club’s security manpower, provide transportation for his customers and close his operation no later than 2am.
He said most parts of the province had peaceful Independence celebrations.
By GYNNIE KERO