The National, Thursday 06th of March, 2014
THERE will be three intakes of recruits into the Defence Force this year, Major Tau Davai says.
He told a batch of 120 recruits at the Goldie Training Depot in Port Moresby that was in line with plans to strengthen the military.
“There will be 180 per intake, including 30 females, who had been selected who will be part of the new 360 recruits,” Davai said.
“The recruits under training will be posted as ceremonial guards specifically for the Government and the force.”
The group left Murray Barracks last week to undertake a three-month intensive military training at Goldie Barracks.
The second intake will begin training in June. The third will start their training in September.
Commander Brigadier-General Gilbert Toropo said he intended to review the levels of the recruiting process and the capacity of the training institutions to ensure that credible levels of manpower were maintained both in the regular and reserve forces.
He said recruiting 120 people per intake would not meet the 5,000 target by 2017.
“Therefore PNGDF needs to increase the numbers per intake and I am mindful of the capacity issues that needs addressing along this priority,” Toropo said
Toropo said in the case of the reserve force, they would need to review the existing legislation to enable the force to contribute to national development.