Peace committee records 100 reported sorcery deaths

National

THE peace committee of the Nahu-Rawa local level government in Raicoast, Madang, has recorded up to 100 deaths since 2012 related to sorcery.
Committee chairman Vini Arihafa said the figure was for the killings reported to them. There were others killed and their homes burnt in the inland villages which were unaccounted for.
Arihafa, a former primary school teacher, told The National that sorcery-related killings were ongoing despite a surrender ceremony between the Hausman and suspects’ factions held at Ramu Sugar Township in February last year.
While waiting for the reconciliation ceremony to be held by the Nahu-Rawa local level government administration, four more people were killed.
Arihafa said occurred at the Ranara Primary School on Tuesday last week.
“The incident occurred at the school grounds and forced the teachers and students to close the school indefinitely. Some teachers vacated the school in fear of their lives,” Arihafa said.
Efforts to get a comment from Madang education adviser Moses Sariki was unsuccessful.
The two earlier killings this year occurred at Tauta station and
Sakiko village where several houses burnt.
Madang provincial police commander Chief Inspector Ben Neneo confirmed the killings on April 10 at Ranara.
“The local leaders informed me about the killings and the plan to investigate the case is in place.
“But as soon as we contained the Madang town situation, then the police will move in,” Neneo said.
“I have instructed the Morobe police unit travelling back to Lae to call into Ranara to ensure police presence and instill confidence in the community.”

Leave a Reply