THE Health Department may look for other donors to fund its HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria programmes, Health Minister Sasa Zibe told Parliament.
This was because the Switzerland-based Global Fund, which had been giving financial assistance to the department for these programmes, had stopped the funding, Mr Zibe claimed.
He said there was a danger of a shortfall for lifesaving treatment for adults and children suffering from the three diseases.
Parliament heard that the Health Department had applied for K109 million with Global Fund in its round nine application for funding for the three programmes next year.
But PNG was knocked back because it did not satisfactorily meet the application criteria.
Mr Zibe, told Parliament last Thursday that his team “did not succeed” with the application, but were approaching other development partners and the Government for assistance.
Two months ago, Global Fund released funds totalling more than K10 million to its Port Moresby office, chaired by Lady Roslyn Morauta.
Lady Morauta said Global Fund was also talking with other stakeholders to put this money, the third installment of the K100 million-plus fund for PNG, to good use.
Mr Zibe’s comment last Thursday was in reply to questions raised by Eastern Highlands Governor Malcolm Kela-Smith.
He said: “the rejection by Global Fund” would have severe consequences on existing programmes and people on treatment under these programmes.”