PNG POWER Limited has not been ignorant of the continuous power cuts faced in Lae.
It is mindful and has been working “full-time to remedy the situation”, executives of the electricity utility said yesterday in Lae.
In a talk-back show at the National Broadcasting Corporation’s (NBC) Radio Morobe, electricity consumers were informed that PPL had its workers working at the two main sub-stations in the city.
General manager of operations John Tangitban said the main cause of power cut in the past 10 days was a fire at the Taraka sub-station on Oct 27.
This caused an unplanned power outrage to areas in the city which are serviced by the sub-station.
Reports of a gas leak in the area by residents were not true, according to Mr Tangitban.
He said it was due to an explosion from a cable being burnt.
Mr Tangitban said workers had been “working tirelessly around the clock but with limited resources”.
PPL Momase regional manager Watson Naso in supporting Mr Tangitban explained that there were two types of power outage.
The first was planned and could be fixed quickly with prior notice given to power consumers.
The second was unplanned which resulted from wear and tear of old facilities like the fire at the Taraka sub-station.
Mr Naso appealed to the public to refrain from activities which could cause damage and hinder power lines and other facilities.
Mr Tangitban also explained that PPL had been working to lift its reliability level in the country.
During a media tour yesterday to the two main sub-stations at Taraka and Milfordhaven, journalists were given an opportunity to gain an insight of the work and operations done by PPL.
There is critical repair work currently being done at the Taraka sub-station following the fire late last month.
During the NBC talk show, a caller, Ariapi Matagepe, who lives in the Buang local level government, suggested that a new hydro plant be built to remedy the situation.
Mr Tangitban in response agreed and said there were plans in place to build one but the process would be long.
Work is currently being carried out to address the immediate needs faced by the public at large.
Another caller from 11-mile, who wished to remain anonymous complained that businesses like tucker shops that kept frozen goods were severely affected by the power cuts.
Mr Naso, who responded to the queries, said clearly that PPL was not at fault because it was the responsibility of any business to have a back up plan when such dilemmas occur.
And Mr Tangitban added that if PPL were to concentrate on solving only the problems faced by business, they would have to resort to closing down.
“And this was not an option or in the best interest of anyone,” he said.