The National, Thursday July 11th, 2013
THE PNGNRL has decided to relocate the remaining Enga Mioks’ Digicel Cup matches in Wabag until further notice.
PNGNRL Chairman Sudhir Guru said the PNGNRL does not condone any form of violence on or off the field, either from players or spectators, the chairman of the PNGNRL said.
In response to the incident in Wabag during round 13 of the Digicel Cup, Guru said: “We always do our best to ensure that games are played in a safe and secure environment.”
He said while the incident in Wabag was isolated and there had been minor incidents of spectator violence in the past, what happened their was unacceptable.
The PNGNRL management had received numerous reports from eye witnesses at the game.
The reports said there were factions of spectators that came prepared to cause trouble, armed with bush knives, shields and other weapons.
“This isolated incident is unfortunate. We acknowledge the efforts from the leadership and administration of Enga for trying to improve the overall image of province however an incident as such is not doing any good for the province.
“The PNGNRL games played in Wabag gives opportunity to outsiders to visit and experience the Engan culture, however incidents like that will only deter tourists from coming.”
Guru assured sponsors and stakeholders that they would continue to ensure that games were played in a safe and secure environment.
Police are currently investigating and the PNGNRL will do what they can to assist.
Enga Governor Peter Ipatas has urged for investigation into the incident.