The National –Wednesday, January 5, 2011
By PISAI GUMAR
THE prime suspect of the murder of the student at University of Papua New Guinea’s open learning centre at Bulolo is held by police.
Bulolo police said yesterday that two other men and the vehicle had been released.
They said the vehicle was released to the owner in fear of legal repercussions.
Police station commander senior Insp Phillip Welia said they did not want the owner to sue the state for loss of business while his PMV was being held.
He said the vehicle had been photographed for further investigations.
He said three suspects were held immediately after the murder when a lone police officer arrived at the crime scene and ordered the driver to head for the police station where all passengers were interrogated.
Student Reuben Henry, was chopped in the shoulder and a relative was attacked when they demanded to be reimbursed some of the K20 fare when the PMV did not complete its route.
When police complete their investigations, Welia said they would seek advice from the public prosecutor’s office on the appropriate measures to take against the other two suspects.
He added that the owner of the vehicle took K7,000 to assist the funeral costs but the family refused.
He said police were keeping alert 24-hour for the safety and security of the community, the local business houses and the gold mine at Hidden valley and the gold project at Wafi.
Welia urged the community to work closely with the police to ensure peace and harmony prevailed in Bulolo.