The National, Tuesday October 22nd, 2013
THE K100 million funding for the upgrading of roads in Lae, Morobe, has already been given to the Works Department to use, Treasurer Don Polye (pictured), says.
Polye and Finance Minister James Marape yesterday confirmed the allocation of the money, to fix the roads in Lae at a press conference in Port Moresby.
It follows public debate on the poor conditions of the roads and the whereabouts of the funds allocated by the Government to be used there.
Works Minister Francis Awesa said the money was kept in a trust account and would be managed well.
He was replying to a statement by Morobe Governor Kelly Naru, querying the whereabouts of the money.
Awesa said although the project had been delayed, the department wanted to do things correctly and spend the money wisely to achieve the expected result.
He said extra time was needed to do proper standard specifications for concrete so that the design and strength of the concrete had to withstand the rainfall and heavy traffic, as a result of the high industrial activities in the city.
“The Government’s decision to go all concrete is very clear,” he said.
“We want quality and value for money but the department has to do things right by following processes so we all are satisfied with the final result.”
Awesa said so far, the department had spent K12 million of the K100 million to pay contractors from the past contract.
The signatories to the trust account are Chief Secretary Sir Manasupe Zurenuoc and the Works Secretary.
The Lae-Nadzab super highway contract, which was signed last month with China Railway International, is worth K800 million.