Power outages indefinite: PPL

National, Normal


THE current power outage faced in various major urban centres in Morobe, Madang, and Highlands provinces will go on for indefinite period.
The power supply had affected many homes, business houses, major hospital, schools, and main market for businesses since last Thursday.
The Lae chamber of commerce had met with the PNG Power Ltd and the PNG Waterboard executives to discuss the problem last Thursday.
On Monday, it was the Morobe provincial administration’s turn to meet with the two service providers.
The administration team comprised of provincial administrator Kemas Tomala, deputy administrator district services Bart Ipambonj, provincial health adviser Dr Likei Theo, Angau Memorial Hospital CEO Dr Polapoi Chalau and Lae metropolitan commander Chief Supt Nema Mondiai.
The meeting aimed to find out the reasons for the continuous power blackouts which adversely affected
businesses including major institutions like hospitals, banks and universities, Mr Tomala said.
The discussions would enable the provincial administration to assist in areas where it can in the short term.
Mr Tomala conceded that the power supply problem was a “long way to being resolved”.
The problem is to do with power generators at Yonki, he said.
He said PNG Power was doing an extension at its Taraka sub-station installing a 12 megawatt unit.
The work should be completed at the end of next month and commissioned to service institutions and communities along the East and West Taraka, University of Technology, Igam barracks, Bumayong, Tent Siti and Back Road.
The power station at Milfordhaven would continue to serve the town areas and along the Miles.
“One way or the other, though we are affected, we all are part and parcel of the problem, therefore, let’s stand together as a team and address the issue collectively for a better solution for the good of our community,” Mr Tomala said.
Due to power outages, the water boring pump machine at East Taraka was also affected.
It disrupted four other pumps along the Butibam Road towards Bumayong to slow down their supply to the main reservoir at Bumayong.
Throughout the weekend, many parts of the city area were left without water.
However, despite the health authority’s advice, most people resorted to nearby Bumbu, Markham and Busu rivers.
The PNG Power and the PNG Waterboard are currently working under stress to get the service back to the city residents and the business houses.