The National, Friday 16th December 2011
A POLICE officer who killed three people during a shootout will know on Monday of his fate in court.
Const Mathias Yangi has been found guilty on three counts of murder.
The trial into his shooting of seven men in Bogia three months ago leaving three dead ended yesterday.
Defence lawyer Mwagawa Mwawesi had asked the court for an extension of time to prepare additional defence witnesses although Yangi wanted the case closed yesterday.
Mwawesi said five policemen with Yangi that night had been threatened by the investigating officer that they would be “arrested” if they showed up.
State witnesses were three of the four surviving victims: Reagan Menzie, Junior Bon and Bobby Angol.
It was alleged that on Feb 15 during a random roadblock along the Bogia highway, the seven, all youths from Mumeng in Morobe, were in a hired white 10-seater.
They had been suspected of carrying packed marijuana and were told to alight from the vehicle and to lie flat on the ground before they were shot on the legs at close range.
It was believed Yangi was under the
influence of alcohol at that time.
The court was told they did not immediately seek medical attention, thus the death of the two while making the three-hour journey to Madang, while the third youth died in hospital from infection to the wound a few days later
Sentencing for Yangi will be in February next year when the court resumes.