State gives OTML award

Business, Normal

The National, Tuesday 20th December 2011

THE national government has recognised Ok Tedi Mining Ltd (OTML) for its contribution to PNG’s development and its compliance with the country’s laws.
Twenty other companies were given the same recognition during the launch of the inaugural Good Corporate Citizenship Award last week.
The Department of Labour and Industrial Relations yesterday refused to release the names of the other companies.
Award co-ordinator Pais Lahari said he was unable to contact his boss George Vaso to obtain permission to release the names of award winners along with OTML.
In a statement yesterday, OTML said the award it received from DLIR was for the company’s commitment to:
• Training and development of  its staff, both citizens and non-citizens;
• Adherence to the laws governing foreign employment and immigration;
• Support for the Fly River Provincial Government and  communities through projects and cash donations for worthy causes;
• Large proportion of national employees representing 95 per cent of its total workforce;
• Active involvement in the Business Council of PNG since 2005 and the PNG Chamber of Mines and Petroleum since 1987 and;
• Acknowledgment by the Department of Treasury as an active development partner to Western Province and the PNG Government since 1984.
OTML human resources manager Harold Duigu commenting on the award said: “It is a great achievement for OTML to be recognised for its contribution to the country particularly in the area of people development, and its integrity in its relations with the Government and the community.
“For an organisation to be granted  the award, it has to satisfy the DLIR of its commitment to the provision of employment and training and development of national workers, its compliance with the Employment of Non-citizens Act 2007 and other laws, and that it practises sound employment, industrial relations and occupational health and safety,” Duigu said.
Duigu added that with OTML’s formal recognition as a Good Corporate Citizen, it would enjoy priority processing of its work permit applications and it had the option to apply for five-year work permits instead of the current three-year duration.
Last year, the mine contributed over K2.1 billion to the PNG economy through taxes, dividends and royalties. It employs over 2,100 employees, of which 95% were nationals.
Over the last 30 years, the mine had contributed over K23 billion to the PNG economy and over K500 million to the mine area landowners in royalty, lease and compensation payments.
OTML is a fully-owned Papua New Guinea mining company by interests after the exit of Canada-based Inmet Mining Corp as a shareholder this year.
The PNG Sustainable Development Programme Ltd now held 63.4% and the state of PNG held the remaining 36.6% of interests in OTML.