The National, Monday March 3rd, 2014
STUDENT enrolment for Mainohana Secondary School in Kairuku, Central, will start today.
This follows the uplifting of the school’s suspension after a consultation meeting convened between the Bereina Diocenasan education board, the school’s board and administration and the provincial educational board (PEB) members recently.
Classes at the school were suspended in November after one of its newly built dormitories funded by the PNG Incentive Fund was burnt.
Central PEB chairman Titus Hatagen acknowledged the cooperation and assistance of the community and Catholic Agency in aiding the police investigation and urged parents to enrol their children.
Hatagen appealed to the community and parents to take ownership of the school as their learning institute and provide security throughout the year.
Catholic Education Secretary, Bereina Diocenasan, Henry Kita said such incidents were not first time incidents as that was the third time a dormitory had been burnt down.
He said to avoid such incidents the school had come up with counselling programmes to help the students to avoid such acts.
Police have charged four students, one male and three females, with arson.
Central Police Commander, Chief Insp Laimo Asi gave an undertaking that police would continue to provide security to the school until the investigation was completed.