By JEFFREY ELAPA
THE son of a health worker and a secondary school teacher were among the suspects arrested and charged by police in connection with the brutal attack and rape of an elderly expatriate woman in Madang last week.
Provincial police commander Chief Insp Anthony Wagambie Jr revealed this to The National soon after yesterday’s protest march by residents to petition the Government to address the law and order issues plaguing the province.
Chief Insp Wagambie said that sufficient evidence had been gathered to charge the two with rape, while the other 20 suspects were released after interrogation.
The two were charged with armed robbery and rape and will appear before the court as soon as all court documents are prepared.
He said two other suspects had also been identified and police expect to arrest them soon.
They will face the same charges and are also believed to be sons of public servants in the province.
Meanwhile, Chief Insp Wagambie also said that two men were shot and wounded by police last Thursday as they were terrorising innocent people with dangerous weapons.
He said that one of them was shot at Miliok Street in the New Town area as he was terrorising the residents there using a pop gun, while the other was shot in the leg as he was also terrorising people at Finch Road while in possession of a pistol.
He said that the injured suspects were also wanted by police for other crimes and they were recovering at the Modilon Hospital.