By JULIA DAIA BORE
POLICE have taken into custody two men for interrogation in the attempted murder of Chief Ombudsman Chronox Manek.
Metropolitan Supt Fred Yakasa said police were working round the clock to get to the bottom of the murder attempt on the country’s head of watch-dog organisation and that “we are also looking on leads to identify the culprits behind the Dec 11 attempt”.
Mr Yakasa told The National in a recent press conference that no definite arrests had been made on the case but “two persons were being questioned”.
Sources within its system revealed three days after the attempted murder, four suspects were rounded up and taken into Boroko police station on as “suspects”.
Eyewitnesses said the four were taken in about noon on Dec 15 for questioning.
Mr Manek was trailed home after an official function at 10.30pm on Dec 11 and was shot at after his driveway into his home was blocked.
In the attempted murder of Chinese businessman Jason Tan on Jan 3, two nationals from mainland China are currently remanded at Bomana following their first appearance before the Waigani Committal Court on Wednesday.
Changjiang Gao, 36, and Xue Zhufu, 38, appeared before magistrate Fred Tomo and were read their charges of one count each of attempted murder and were denied bail.
Their counsel Michael Wilson told the court he would interview his clients at the Boroko cells and discuss the bail issue.
The hearing was adjourned to Jan 29.