UPNG decision final: Tabar

National
Source:
The National, Friday July 8th, 2016

 By OGIA MIAMEL 
THE decision by the University of Papua New Guinea senate to terminate the 2016 academic year is final, according to cabinet minister Malakai Tabar.
Tabar, the Minister for Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology, said everyone had to respect the decision. The senate will now work with the department to sort out the 2017 enrolment of new intakes.
He said the senate made the decision because ample class time had been lost during the nine-week protest by students and related incidents. “The senate did not want to sign and give degrees and diplomas without the proper requirement of course content being met,” he said.
He said restoring normalcy at UPNG was the responsibility of the university council and not the Government. “There were firearms and bush knifes in the dormitories. Staff and students were threatened.”
He said staff members had been intimidated and threatened by students and everyone was not in their right mind to continue with the classes. He said classes at the University of Goroka and University of Technology would continue.
Education Minister Nick Kuman said the university council’s decision to terminate the academic year would have a negative effect on the 2017 enrolment of first-year students.
Kuman called on the council to reconsider its decision.