The National, Thursday 13th June 2013
POLICE have blamed the constant power cuts at Warangoi in East New Britain on people damaging power poles.
Acting provincial police commander Senior Insp David Yapu said they were investigating and determined to bring to justice all those involved.
Last week, the blackouts were caused after someone at Warangoi removed the support wires to the poles.
Yapu said PNG Power Ltd had written to the police to raise their concern about the matter because it was expensive to repair the damaged equipment.
“The constant blackouts are affecting their revenue collection,” Yapu said.
“I have instructed rural patrol officers and Warangoi police to investigate and deal with the perpetrators.
“Those found responsible for disrupting vital services will be severely dealt with.”
Yapu said the power outage affected business in the province.
“I am appealing to the community at Warangoi to assist police with information (that will lead) to the arrest of the suspects,” Yapu said.
Meanwhile, police reported that a 49-year-old man from Karamus in Chimbu had been charged with sexually touching his eight-year-old daughter this month.
Yapu said the incident occurred at the Ulaveo compound in Kokopo.
Police are also looking for a man from Kabakaul who allegedly raped a 15-year-old girl on Sunday.
Yapu said the suspect was in hiding.