The National – Tuesday, February 8, 2011
ACTING Deputy Commissioner of police and chief of police operations Fred Yakasa yesterday denied that suspended West Sepik provincial police commander Sakawar Kasieng had been placed under house arrest by PNG Defence Force soldiers engaged in Operation Sunset Merona.
“I have been briefed by the combined task force commander acting Assistant Commissioner Jerry Frank that what was employed was normal police cordon and search procedure.
“I have been assured that the military personnel only surrounded the premises of the suspended PPC and the police with a search warrant issued by the Vanimo district court conducted the search,” Yakasa said, adding that even then the PNGDF soldiers engaged in the operation have special constabulary powers to effect arrest if required to do so.
“I have been further informed that, following the search on Kasieng’s residence, a large quantity of live ammunition was found at his residence and appropriate charges would be laid once police investigations are completed.
“It appears that Kasieng had disregarded repeated requests to report to police for an interview relating to serious allegations levelled against him when he was PPC of West Sepik.
“These allegations are for aggravated assault to a health extension officer, wilful damage, use of threatening words and illegal use of a motor vehicle.
“Kasieng also has a case pending at the National Court for grievous bodily harm,” Yakasa said.
He added that Operation Sunset Merona was a government approach involving key government agencies and was being conducted professionally and efficiently with regard for due process and the relevant laws.