PNG smuggler back in Oz court in case of Chinese six

National

A Papua New Guinean charged with smuggling six Chinese across the PNG–Australian maritime border reappeared  before the Cairns Magistrates Court in Queensland yesterday.
Cairns Magistrates Court deputy registrar Alan Marsh said the case was further adjourned to Sept 25.
Koloney Bama, 52, from the Mabudaun village in South Fly, Western province, earlier appeared before the Thursday Island Magistrates Court in the Torres Strait Islands.
“Bama appeared before the Cairns Magistrates Court today in relation to one offence of breach of the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958. His matter was further adjourned until the 25 September for mention. He was remanded in custody until this date,” Marsh said yesterday.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Sam Henry, 31, of mixed Northern and Milne Bay parentage, was convicted of human smuggling by the Daru National Court in Western province last week.
He is yet to be sentenced.
Henry was convicted of facilitating the smuggling of four Pakistanis over the Papua New Guinea-Australia border.
Police raided a settlement and apprehended the Pakistanis and Henry.
The Pakistanis had arrived from Port Moresby and were awaiting transportation to Saibai Island in the Torres Strait when they were arrested.

Leave a Reply