PNGDF successfully remove, destroy bombs

National

By VICKY BAUNKE
THE Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF) last Friday has destroyed two bombs found earlier at 10-Mile along the Markham Highway, Morobe.
Engineers Battalion commanding officer Captain Alex Hengene said it took his team four days to remove the bomb which had been found curled amongst the roots of a fallen tree.
Despite the successful removal of the bombs, Hengene said the process was risky for the engineers as they had to do so without proper gears and equipment.
He said bombs of such sizes would have a 1500 to 3000 impact and posing greater risks also for local communities.
Hengene urged communities in Morobe and developers in Lae to immediately report to authorities of any of such war relics being found.
He said the two bombs were not unidentified but were believed to be used by Japanese during World War II.

Leave a Reply