The National – Friday, December 24, 2010
By ANCILLA WRAKUALE
A four-year-old girl has died leaving 40 others without anything except for the clothes on their back when their house went up in flames early yesterday morning.
The incident happened around 3am at the Tari-Erave block at Erima settlement in Port Moresby.
The two-storey house was burnt to ash and nothing could be saved as everyone was fast asleep.
Owner of the house Okane Hapueke, was in a state of shock when The National visited the burnt site and could not give any more comment.
The cause of the fire is still unknown.
However, an occupant of the house, Jerome Kairi, said that it was believed that someone had lit a candle that might cause the fire
“They were asleep and it was hard to save the little girl’s life,” Kairi said.
The houses consisted of six bedrooms downstairs with another five upstairs and were on rental basis.
A total of about K5,000 cash including all properties and other household items were lost in the fire.