The National –Thursday, January 6, 2011
By ANCILLA WRAKUALE
THE recent cholera outbreak in East Sepik’s Ambunti district is now under control, according to district health extension officer (HEO) Dominica Wain.
She told The National yesterday that the situation is now under control with awareness programme already in progress.
She said that after the eight confirmed cases at Iniok village last Friday there were no new reported cases of cholera.
Meanwhile, Wain also corrected the number of cholera confirmed dead reported cases as eight and not 10 as reported on Monday in The National.
She said that among the eight reported deaths, seven were males and one female, all adults.
“Our priority was to cover the entire Ambunti area for cholera awareness in preparation for future cases so that our people know what to do”, said Wain.
The awareness will cover basic hygiene, proper handling of food to how cholera is spread and ways to avoid contracting the disease.
“The villagers reacted with fear when they first discovered cholera was in the village but that has now changed because of the awareness.
“Knowledge about cholera among villagers is okay now with awareness underway,” Wain added.
So far, two health teams had managed to cover four villages along the Sepik River banks.
Wain said that they also have volunteers set up in each village to help out during the awareness programme so that, when the health teams leave, they can continue the programme.
She also said that assistance by the provincial health office in Wewak was a relief as they were already into full swing of the awareness programme.
Wain added that Frieda mine developer Xstrata was still assisting and continue to support them with logistics.
Meanwhile, Ambunti-Dreikikir MP Tony Aimo also expressed his gratitude that the cholera situation in his electorate had come under control.