Briefs, National

Relocation plan not effective
TULELE Pesa Relocation Programme of Carterets Island in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville affected by climate change is operating at a very slow pace known as “slow onset approach”. Compared to Matupit in East New Britain and Manam in Madang, those have been relocated to Gelegele and Bogia respectively at a “rapid onset approach” due to volcanic eruptions. Since 2005, the organisation stated that they have been doing a lot of work in trying to get the people on the mainland Bougainville to understand the mindsets and cultural aspects of the people of Carterets to help them after relocation. Awareness programmes involving youths were carried out for more understanding on climate change in Tinputz district where the resettlement will take place. Currently, there was a research team on the island doing a research on the cultural aspects.Tulele Pesa saw that the ongoing programme of “youth speaking tour” had positive effects on the people therefore; they have planned to go as far as Inus and Wakunai to conduct awareness programmes.The main emphasis of the organisation on the people of Carterets  was education,employment and intermarriage. So far the parties involved have built good relationships through discussions.



New private room for cancer ward
THE Port Moresby General Hospital has opened its new private meeting room at the cancer ward. The sister-in-charge of the ward Sister Ellie Winge thanked Bank South Pacific for sponsoring the meeting room which local firm Pari Maintenance built. Sr Winge also thanked other companies which donated to support the project, including PNG Cancer Society, bemobile and Telikom. The room was to help patients who visit for treatment, give them a more private and quiet area for consultation and where they can talk freely. “We have cancer patients from all over the country coming here with different cancer problems and we can now talk to patients in private.” BSP Boroko branch representative Maureen Wanu said the project cost the bank K3,800, with labour provided by the commercial section staff. It was part of the bank’s community service obligation, she said. “Port Moresby General Hospital’s cancer ward is part of our obligation and we will support communities which need help,” Sr Wanu said. The new meeting room was opened with cutting of the ribbon, coinciding with the Pink Ribbon week.



‘Tribal fight’ cause of ignorance
THE protracted tribal fighting in Sialum has been caused by ignorance by the Tewai LLG administration at Sialum, Morobe province. They had failed to initiate a peace process, a women leader said. Tourism promoter Delilah Kelly said the inaction by the administration left fighting to continue and resulted in the wounding of two policemen and injuring several villagers. She said the communities from Sialum-Nomo, Amugen, Ziwe and Dedua dismissed claims that the fighting was between rival cult groups. She said it was an internal family land issue that arose in 2007. The warring groups then shifted the land issue into one that involved the election of a village court magistrate. The issue carried on as the warring family at Kinganbingin hamlet burnt down houses at Kip village.  In the same year, a local policeman was alleged to have shot one Hemayu Kubu from Sikekea village, but the incident was never investigated, she said. “We totally agree with ACP Giossi Labi’s comment about government’s neglect, inability to manage district affairs and deliver needed services accordingly, and also sympathise with the injured policemen,” Mrs Kelly said.



 Drug cargo lands two in jail
THE Boroko District Court last week sentenced two men to three months in prison for being in possession of  dangerous drugs. The men, Peter Ipele and Allan Ero from Tapini in Central province, were apprehended by police on their way to Port Moresby to sell their cargo. The drugs were found to have been wrapped in pandanus leaves to disguise it as betel nut bags. However, police, after searching the vehicle, recovered the marijuana. Before the decision was made, Mr Ipele said the drugs did not belong to him nor Mr Ero, as they were only carrying the cargo at the instruction of a relative, Peter Goikoma, who was also apprehended but later released on police bail. The drugs were to be sold to pay for school fees for Goikama’s child. Magistrate Richard Sekere laid down the decision that under section 3 of the Dangerous Drugs Act, persons convicted of such charges faced up to three months imprisonment with no bail.


Appeal against life quashed
AN appeal by three prisoners against a National Court decision that sentenced them to life imprisonment on wilful murder charges, was refused by the Waigani Supreme Court last Friday. Wesley Nobudi, John Evoa and Frank Yalikiti were sentenced to life imprisonment on Dec 24, 2002, after the court found them guilty of murdering Robert Yamang in Port Moresby on April 13, 2002. Nobudi escaped from Bomana prison on Dec 17, 2007, and was still at large. Only Evoa and Yalikiti were present in court during the hearing of the appeal. The prisoners appealed on the basis that the sentence of life imprisonment was harsh and excessive in the circumstance of the case and sought to have the judgement quashed and substituted for a lesser one.


Sandaun police inspect raid
POLICE in Sandaun province went into Aitape last Friday to assess damages caused by a raid that occurred last Tuesday. Villagers from Malol were alleged to have caused an upheaval by destroying market stalls and other properties and also injuring two people, provincial police commander Chief Insp Sakawar Kasieng said. He said last Friday that the reason behind the raid was not known. Chief Insp Kasieng added he would be accompanying the task force to the area to restore confidence in the community and said he would be in a better position to give an actual brief on the situation after visiting the place. In the meantime, the two people injured in the raid are currently at the Raihu Hospital in Aitape nursing their wounds.


Wanted man shot dead
A  MAN wanted man by police was shot dead in Goroka last week in a shootout with police. Terence Agoyabe, 25, of Sepik and Lufa parentage, was wanted by police for rape, armed robbery and break and enter. He was shot in the abdomen during a gunfire exchange with police at Fimito Goroka town sewerage dump site last Thursday. Eastern Highlands provincial police commander acting Chief Supt Augustine Wampe confirmed the incident, saying Agoyabe had been on the run until he met his fate. He said police found through a tip-off and got Agoyabe off guard as he was hosting a beer party for his friends. After surrounding them the policemen urged them to surrender but they started to run. As Agoyabe ran, he pulled out a gun and shot at the police who immediately fired back and hit him in the abdomen. He died instantly.