Court adjourns Bawa’s case to next month

National
Source:
The National, Wednesday July 20th, 2016

The Waigani Committal Court has adjourned the case of former National Capital District Met Supt Andy Bawa so his lawyer can present submissions on the sufficiency of evidence.
Bawa, facing a charge for stealing more than K80,000 in Pacific Games allowances and abuse of office, appeared in court yesterday.
His lawyer told the court that he was supposed to present his submission on the sufficiency of evidence and he did not understand why his client’s case was moved from one committal court room to another.
Magistrate Mekeo Gauli said he was on leave and Magistrate Comas Bidar was hearing the case.
He adjourned the case to Aug 30 to allow Bawa’s lawyer time to prepare and present submissions on the sufficiency of evidence.
Bawa appeared on a K1000 extended bail. It is alleged that between Aug 4 and Sept 30 last year, Bawa abused his office by receiving the allowances from a provincial administration office.
Bawa maintained his innocence over the alleged misconduct and stealing.