Demons get top prize after nine-year drought

Normal, Sports


KOBONI turned the back pages on a  nine-year paupership to become the new kings with a polished 10-6-66 to 8-12-60 victory over Moresby in the NCD rules football grand final at the Colts Ground on Saturday.
It was sheer determination and a “never-say-die” attitude and a fighting spirit in the final quarter that got the “devils” through over the minor premiers Swans.
The Demons began the game on a fiery note kicking four goals and two behinds with the wind behind them through Junior Aria, Colin Wiltshire, Vagi Vaina and pint-sized dynamo in rover, 18-year-old  Tohian Robert.
Moresby only managed one goal and a behind through Stanis Isu in the opening quarter in blustery conditions.  
But the champion fullforward, who usually is normally a strong aerial competitor and a regular go-to-man for the Swans, was rarely given a chance and was only restricted to two goals for the entire match by a stirring defensive performance by Koboni backman Junior KMB.
Isu’s second goal for the match came in the opening minutes of the third quarter when Moresby turned on the power to boot three goals and three behinds against the wind after a psyche up from from coach Casper Gelu at half-time. 
The Swans restricted Koboni to a mere  goal and two behinds in that quarter, even though the Demons had the advantage of the wind behind them.
The Swans continued their surge in the final quarter and eventually hit the front by six points after they slammed home three goals and two behinds through Sebby Gelu, Stewart Kadiko and Sandy Rava.
With less than six minutes left on the clock, the score sheet read in favour of West dominated Moresby 8-12-60 to 8-6-54.
But Koboni rallied strongly in those dying minutes and worked the ball up along the flanks to reward themselves with two goals through Amua Pirika and David Evertius to eventually win the premiership.
Goal kickers for Koboni were Evertius with three and a double to Vaina  while Aria, Wiltshire, Robert, Pirika and Larry Nao one each.
For Moresby Stanis Isu and Zachary Rava both kicked two goals each while Paul Tika, John Isu, Sebby Gelu, Stewart Kadiko and Sandy Rava added one each in a tightly contested  match.