By ELIZABETH VUVU
EAST New Britain Governor Leo Dion has demanded the return of the police mobile squad because of the increase in law and order problems in the province.
Mr Dion yesterday called on Internal Security Minister Sani Rambi and Police Commissioner Gari Baki to recall the Tomaringa police mobile squad from election duties in Kandep, Enga province, to help attend to the escalating law and order situation which he described as “a matter of concern”.
His call followed the death of a long time Kokopo-based businessman over the weekend.
Police said Brian Lee was attacked by armed men at his Kokopo home in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Provincial police commander Supt Anton Billie said Mr Lee’s house had been broken into and that he was hit on the back of his head with a heavy object.
His unconscious body was discovered by security guards who rushed him to the St Mary’s Hospital at Vunapope.
However, he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital.
Preliminary reports indicated that Mr Lee could have suffered a fractured skull.
Mr Dion said the rising criminal activities in the province had been a growing concern, especially petty crimes that led to major crimes like murders of innocent people in the province.
He said he had always maintained that police were under-strength although the provincial government had provided sufficient resources, such as vehicles to attend to their duties, they were still down with menpower.
Mr Dion said Kokopo was a fast-developing town, and Mr Rambi and the police should not turn a blind eye to the province’s request for police strength to be upgraded.
He has sent his condolences to the family of the late Mr Lee, a builder by profession who had participated in his family business and contributed immensely to the restoration of Kokopo and the province as a whole.