The National, Tuesday, June 7th 2011
THE Mt Diamond Adventist Secondary is expected to resume classes today, principal Henry Kombil says.
Classes were suspended for three days following a directive issued by Central provincial education board chairman Titus Romano Hatagen last Wednesday.
Kombil said classes had resumed last Thursday but were cancelled later because of the roadblock set up by Koiaris at the Bautama junction last Friday.
“Today (yesterday), we tried to have a normal learning day but we have been unable to because of continued fear expressed by our students,” he said.
“We have a student population of 556, however, 98 mainly boarding students have remained and 123 of our teaching staff,” Kombil said.
He said he could not assure the safety of students but the school had taken security measures by stationing six police personnel on the ground.
Kairuku Hiri MP and Minister for Higher Education Paru Aihi described the killers as ‘faceless cowards taking the lives of innocent people”.
“I pay sincere condolences to the innocent lives that were slain.
“I am heavily involved.
“There are people causing inconveniences to others but this is not the Papuan way of doing things,” he said.
A previous petition by the landowners last month was before parliament.