The National, Wednesday July 4th, 2012
AFTER more than two years the people of New Ireland will finally be able to receive the Radio New Ireland shortwave signal today, National Broadcasting Corporation executive director of engineering Robin Vuvut said on Monday.
The provincial government had released a commitment of K100,000 last year to extend the transmission of the station especially to the outer islands of Murat and Lavongai LLG on the shortwave frequency.
Vuvut confirmed his technical team was in the province to immediately upgrade the service and allow transmission from the station to reach the outer islands of Kavieng, Namatanai and to the West Coast of New Ireland.
Vuvut said the exercise would see the upgrading of the FM and shortwave radio transmission signals throughout the province.
The team affirmed its partnership with the provincial government and the administration to extend and revitalise services in the province.
Governor Sir Julius Chan said: “The people of New Ireland have constantly expressed dissatisfaction with radio coverage and especially during the elections period.
“The remote islands in both districts, as well as Namatanai have suffered the plight of no access to radio transmission.
“I could not be more pleased that NBC is finally addressing this long-standing issue and that the dissatisfaction by the people will now be a thing of the past.”
Funding help for the exercise has been allocated by the provincial government but the management of the local station has not been able to liaise appropriately with stakeholders to use the funding.