NSL face dilemma on sixth team

Normal, Sports
Source:

The National, Thursday 10th January, 2013

By HENRY MORABANG
NATIONAL Soccer League’s governing body faces a dilemma over who will be the sixth team for their 2013 season which kicks off in February.
Seven teams have so far paid their registration fees, one more than is required for the revised semi-professional competition format.
Teams that registered earlier are Hekari FC, Welgris FC, Besta FC, WNB Tavur FC and FC Port Moresby.
The late-comers are Gigira Laitepo Morobe United FC and NC Civil Works Oro FC, which paid their registration fees yesterday afternoon.
NSL business development manager Chris Brown confirmed that the Morobe and Northern franchises each paid their K85,000 registration fee.
He said all seven would be considered as provisional teams until a final decision was made by the NSL board.
Attempts to contact board chairman Isaac Lupari last night for his response on the issue were unsuccessful.
Meanwhile, Oro FC official Simon Eroro claimed they had been given preference over Morobe United FC.
However, Morobe United FC team manager Toki Mambare disputed this, saying they had earlier paid the K5,000 expression of interest fee, which was a requirement procedure for NSL affiliation.
“NSL board should check if Oro FC have paid their initial K5,000 as part of the requirements for nomination for affiliation to the National Soccer League,” Mambare said by email from Lae yesterday.
He said the NSL board should give preference to Morobe United owner Tuguyawinin Libe Parindali, who had supported the franchise and the NSL for the last six years.
Mambare added that while he appreciated Northern Governor Gary Juffa’s initiative and efforts in setting up Oro FC, he believed the NSL board should give priority to the established Morobe franchise.
 

Leave a Reply