PNG lose cool in flogging


PAPEETE, Tahiti: Papua New Guinea suffered a 6-0 thumping at the hands of hosts Tahiti at Stade Pater yesterday, with three send-offs further compounding the defeat in their second OFC Under-19 soccer match.
Tahiti made a strong opening statement when Terai Bremond scored in just the second minute of play following a scramble in the goal mouth.
PNG attempted to hit back just as quickly, forcing a save from goalkeeper Moana Pito in the 6th minute, but Tahiti were much more threatening with the speed of their counter attacks and build-up from the midfield putting their opponents on the back foot.
Tahiti captain Roonui Tehau got on the scoresheet in the 17th minute when he leapt high at the near post to connect with a corner delivery, heading it past keeper Graham Berigami. Bremond then added his second with an absolute rocket from the edge of the area, before Yann Vivi sent a ground-grubber past Berigami for Tahiti’s fourth.
Tahiti continued to apply pressure as they came back from the break and had a couple of early opportunities just go astray.
PNG also came out determined to try and pull themselves back into contention and they came close with a chance to Jonathan Allen forcing Pito into action.
Despite their best efforts, the Melanesian side couldn’t hold off the onslaught from their opponents and Eddy Kaspard was soon adding a fifth to the tally.
The match took a sour turn after that as Solomon Islands referee was forced to dish out three red cards for Dopson Noi, Sylvester Luke and Kimson Kapai, while Tahiti’s Hennel Tehaamoana was given a caution after a ruckus broke out on the field.
In addition, Tahiti’s Samuel Liparo had to be stretchered off after taking a punch to the back of the head during the incident.
With PNG now down to eight men, Tahiti had an opportunity to put the match to bed, and it was captain Tehau who tried to lead by example with an 86th minute goal.
He was replaced by Purutu Nanuaiterai on the stroke of 90 minutes, with ten minutes of added time to play, but the substitute didn’t last long in the game receiving a red card after just two minutes of game time.
Tahiti had a couple of last gasp chances to extend their lead but Berigami made certain that didn’t happen, with the match rounding out with a 6-0 win for the home side.
PNG coach Harrison Kamake said he was disappointed his boys could not build on from opening day win against Tonga, with the second half incident also leaving a sour note. “Obviously, I am really disappointed with their actions and I’m disappointed with the result,” he said.
“We accept the loss, Tahiti were the better side.
“Credit to the boys they stood out in the remaining minutes but all in all we’re really disappointed with the result.”
Tahiti coach Bruno Tehaamoana was more than happy to get three points on the table, with one final match remaining for them to stake their claim on a spot in the semi-final.
“Congratulations to my players,” Tehaamoana said.
“In the first half, we managed well and we scored some goals which was good.
“Afterwards in the second half, we let go somewhat.”
However, he indicated that the second half wasn’t an equal showing from his side as they allowed themselves to be drawn into PNG’s web.
“We allowed ourselves to fall into the game of the Papua New Guineans because they harassed and harassed the ball carriers when we were in possession. They had nothing to lose, they were already 4-0 behind.
“They tried to shove us off our game and they succeeded. I think the match was over when they had their three players sent off.
“I’m really disappointed in the image that we had at the end of the match.” – OFC

Leave a Reply