Scots sink PNG


PAPUA New Guinea opener Tony Ura’s poor run in the Twenty-20 World Cup extended to a second game as he chopped on in the second over, giving Josh Davey his first wicket of the day with Scotland going on to claim a
17-run win over the Barramundis at Oman Cricket Academy in Muscat yesterday.
Having taken Brad Wheal for a four on the first ball of the over, fellow Barramundis opener Lega Siaka attempted to dance down the pitch again, only to edge to the wicketkeeper.
The Scotland pace attack reduced PNG to 35/5 in the powerplay after Richie Berrington’s half-century helped set a target of 166. Berrington smashed an entertaining 70 off 49 balls, adding 92 runs with Matt Cross for the third wicket.
Scotland’s Alasdair Evans, playing his first game of this World Cup in place of Safyaan Sharif, had been welcomed with a flurry of fours in front of and behind square from Assad Vala. However, he had the last laugh: Vala, searching for the third boundary of the over, could only top edge to offer Wheal at mid-on an easy catch inside the circle.
Charles Amini was run-out thanks to a good throw from Michael Leask in the deep behind square. Three balls later, Berrington plucked the ball out of the air to send back Simon Atai and give Davey his second.
The start was disappointing for PNG, considering how they had done well to pull things back at the death. Six wickets fell in the last two overs as the Scotland middle and lower order tried to add quick runs.
Chad Soper, who was PNG’s only change for this match, and Kabua Vagi-Morea finished with four wickets each, even as the PNG fielders backed them up with good catches.
PNG’s seamers had been effective earlier in the Powerplay, too. Morea, the left-arm pacer, and Soper took a wicket each to keep Scotland to 37/2 in the Powerplay.
After Scotland chose to bat, George Munsey and Kyle Coetzer got off to a busy start, striking a couple of fours off both new-ball bowlers, Nosaina Pokana and Charles Amini.
However, Vala’s bowling changes made an immediate impact. Morea took pace off and got the ball to swing in to Coetzer, who was bowled. The next over, Munsey, who had as usual been strong on the sweep, was caught in the deep trying to attack Soper.
Berrington and Cross came together in the fourth over and steadied the innings. Having given themselves time to settle, they reached a steady rather than spectacular 67/2 at the halfway mark of the innings.
A 97m six down the ground from Berrington off Lega Siaka was the one bit of flourish in that period.
The 11th, 12th and 13th over, though, brought 42 runs, as both batters cleared the ropes with ease. – ICC
Cross, who was playing his 50th T20 International, was circumspect early on, before he cut loose with a six over midwicket to bring up the fifty partnership. He fell five short of his half-century, caught in the deep after failing to connect properly against the left-arm spin of Simon Atai.
Berrington, then, kept going. A four down the ground brought up his half-century, off 37 balls.
He finally fell in the penultimate over: His pull was excellently caught in the deep by Charles Amini, who had to cover considerable ground. – ICC