Six cops suspended over assault

Main Stories

THE National Capital District/Central commander Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Anthony Wagambie Jr says six members of the police force have been stood down from duties in relation to the assault of a soldier on Monday.
ACP Wagambie said the soldier was part of a group of other soldiers that assaulted police officers from a unit and took three rifles and commandeered a police vehicle.
“He was left behind when his colleagues sped off in a blue LandCruiser, where he was chased on foot and accosted,” he said.
“Six personnel have been stood down from active duty on Tuesday morning pending a thorough investigation.
“The investigation into how the confrontation started, what happened and who did what has already commenced.
“We have arranged for PNG Defence Force military police to be involved in the investigation so that it is done transparently.”
ACP Wagambie said the confrontation stemmed from an incident last Saturday where it was alleged that a police unit had entered a premises and harassed a soldier’s family.
He said the police internal investigations unit collected signed statements from the family.
“Five members of that particular unit have been formerly suspended from duties today (yesterday).”
ACP Wagambie said three of them, who had been identified by the family through their statements, were arrested and charged yesterday on a count each of unlawfully on premises, unlawful assault and insulating words.
The fourth is still recovering from injuries sustained when he and others were attacked by the soldiers in front of Boroko Police Station.
ACP Wagambie said he had his suspension served on him and would also be arrested and charged once he recovered.

Leave a Reply