Two family homes razed in Lae fire

National, Normal

The National, Monday 22nd April 2013


TWO families lost their three-bedroom homes to a fire around 8am last Friday at Salamanda Avenue in Lae, Morobe.

The families from Kavieng-East New Britain and Morobe-Manus were already awake and starting their daily chores when the fire started from the bedroom of the second unit. It spread to the next unit to the bedroom.

Neighbours who went to the assistance of the two families said they couldn’t do much because the fire spread very quickly.

Some of the residents living in the units owned by the National Housing Corporation are concerned about the run-down condition of their homes.

Firefighters who arrived at the scene took some time to look for a water hydrant to connect the hoses to. 

They were able to save the third unit.

Attempts to get comments from the fire station commander about the cause of the fire were unsuccessful.