Workers start driving piles for new Banab Bridge

Main Stories

By DOROTHY MARK
WORK on the Banab Bridge which collapsed eight months ago on the North Coast Road of Madang has started.
Acting provincial administrator John Bivi said sub-contractor Sigma Construction had started driving the piles at the 50-metre wide Banab River.
The bridge collapsed in January when a vehicle carrying a heavy loadpassed through. Since then, people had been using canoes, dinghies and a makeshift bamboo crossing.
The bridge was built in 1962 and had not been maintained since.
Sigma Construction project supervisor Kanawi Pongi said they started work on the bridge on Thursday.
“The driving of the four pillars are expected to be completed (tomorrow),” Pongi said.
He said another sub-contractor would demolish the remaining structure and a bailey bridge would then be put across.
Bivi said the Banab Bridge was an important link between Bogia and Madang.
“This is an economic road so we want the bridge to be up quickly so that our people can complete their journeys.” Madang Peter Yama said the bridge was expected to be completed by next month.
Meanwhile, Bivi said work on the Usino Yal road would begin tomorrow.

Leave a Reply