Hans seals city win

Normal, Sports

The National, Monday January 11th, 2016


PORT Moresby’s workaholic midfielder Neil Hans scored a hat-trick to help his side thrash Huawei PS United 6-0 in the sixth round of the National Soccer League’s Southern Conference at the Bisini Soccer Complex on Saturday.

Hans scored two of his three goals in the first half from two free kicks and the final one in the second to send  an early warning to the other teams, who are vying for the top two positions in the last four games of the conference stage.

From the start, Huawei started dictating the game until the 25th minute when Port Moresby’s midfielder Jacob Sabua dribbled past several players from the centreline to slam home the first goal after realising United’s flat-footed defence.

The goal boosted their morale to score another four to make it 5-0 in the first half.

By the close of the window transfer period last Friday, both teams had new signings to utilise.

United had Hekari’s Erickson Komeng and goal-keeper Tua Haro, who were former team mates at the PS Rutz Football Club, together with Chris Mullu and Brain Tani taking the field for the first time.

Port Moresby welcomed back fullback Cyril Muta, who played in the first five games with Erema.

Port Moresby’s head coach Robert Popat said he was impressed with his players for their execution.

“I told the players to lift their game and they did,” Popat said. 

“I am impressed.”

“After Sabua’s goal the tide changed and we started to take possession of the game.

“The five goals in the first half, together with the only goal in the second half, was a result of that.

“Our focus now is to tackle every match in the remaining games in the same manner,” he said.

Huawei PS United coach Nathan Vincent said the loss now puts them in a critical position, especially  with them being last on the ladder.

“It will be very tough and that is the challenge I am facing,” he said. Vincent said there were many changes made to the team when key players like Frank Tulem, Pokana Mea and Iamo Maneka were still carrying injuries. “Overall we played well but the players just could not score any goal,” he said.

He said his players lost concentration after Sabua’s goal and that made way for the other goals to come flooding in. Port Moresby’s other two goals in the first half were scored by captain and man-of-the-match Roland Bala.

The other two goals came from Hans from two free kicks after Aniel Pascan and Abel Renaulnut were both trapped in the goal area separately. Hans scored the final one in the second half to seal the game.


Leave a Reply