The National – Wednesday, December 15, 2010
By VERONICA FRANCIS
A TOTAL of 268 Defence Force ex-servicemen from the first group so far have already received their entitlements.
That group is known as “Thaddeus Wungai’s” group.
Col Paul Mai, who is tasked to facilitate the payout, told The National yesterday that the payments were progressing well, adding they were now waiting for the remaining 66 members of the first group from outside of Port Moresby to arrive and get their share.
The National understands that K12.6 million will be paid to the first group.
“If everyone turns up on time, the first payments should be completed on Friday,” Mai said.
He added that the payments of the second (Joseph Kupo’s) and third group (colonial ex-servicemen) had been approved by the government, however, the cheque had yet to be released.
He revealed that Chief Secretary Manasupe Zurenuoc had assured him that the government was ready to pay the next group, depending on when the payment of the first group was completed.
Mai said that names of those eligible to receive their payments would be published in the newspapers and details would be given on when and where to collect their cheques.
He urged all members of the “Thaddeus Wungai Group” to come forward quickly and claim their cheques so that they could proceed with the other groups as Christmas was approaching.