The National , Monday, May 30, 2011
ACTING Prime Minister Sam Abal has assured parliament there will be an immediate stop to big trucks and semi-trailers using the Poreporena Freeway to downtown after a number of fatal accidents.
“I live on that side of the freeway and I see trucks screaming down the road,” Abal said.
The acting PM was responding to questions from Moresby Northeast MP Andrew Mald, who claimed there had been seven or eight fatal accidents on the same part of the freeway and asked the government to ban heavy trucks from using the road.
Mald said the heavy trucks must use the 2-Mile road or the Baruni road instead of the freeway.
He said business activities in the city were booming, especially along the waterfront area, and they would be safe with the ban on heavy trucks.
Mald asked for the motor vehicle registration for NCD be given back to National Capital District Commission to maintain its road infrastructure.
He said the roads were becoming a problem in the city.
In reply, Abal said the national government had already allocated K70 million in this year’s budget for city roads and it was up to NCDC to identify the roads and draw down on the funds.